If you are a native, or fluent International English speaker, yet feel the quality of your speech production lets you down (you’ve been given feedback that you are inaudible, mumble, your intonation patterns are monotonous, for instance), Speech training with Confidently Speaking will help you maximise your accuracy, clarity, projection and muscularity in spoken English and enable you to eliminate any minor-to-moderate speech faults you may have.
Course contents includes –
- An initial diagnostic session, detailing key areas of fault, omission, substitution, under-worked production, corrective outlooks and exercises, alignment and diaphragmatic-abdominal breathing. A short tutorial on conscious practice. A map of the speech articulators and an Elocution and Speech handbook. Our training together is likely to address one, or more of the following outlooks:
- Accurate tongue, mouth and lip behaviours\positions on the English vowels.
- Accurate tongue, mouth and lip behaviours on the English consonants.
- Exercises for improving vocal tone and projection (general and specific resonance)
- Exercises for improving vocal\speech placement
- Common speech faults 1 – substitution of \f,s,t\ and \v,z,d\ for the two TH consonants.
- Common speech faults 2 – Use of \w\, inadequate ‘r’ formation, lisps.
- Common speech faults 3 – sibilant, ‘hissy’ \s\ and \SH\ sounds.
- Common speech faults 4 – Inadequate word-final ‘l’ consonant in ‘all’.
- Common speech faults 5 – Glottal attack in words ‘better’, ‘apple’.
- Common speech faults 6 – Imprecision on difficult consonant groups in words ‘fifths, substitution, education’, ‘pronunciation’, for example.
- Common speech faults 7 – intonation – where to put emphasis and stress, weak and strong stress and function words.
Diagnostic: 1 to 1.5 hours
Training duration: 5-10 hours to learn the exercises.
Training formats: Virtual one-to-one and small groups by Zoom, Skype, TEAMS or Facetime (with other platforms by arrangement and one-to-one face-to-face in London.
Training prerequisites: Knowledge of the IPA is helpful, but not essential.
Reference materials – You will receive a Reference Handbook and permission to record the sessions on your device.
Coaching is offered remotely by Zoom, Skype, TEAMS, Facetime (or other virtual platforms by arrangement).
Face-to-face training is held in London, I’m Essex-based, so also offer coaching from Leigh-on-Sea/Southend.
If you are interested in booking either one-to-one or small group training in Elocution, please email Anne at firstname.lastname@example.org or text or call 07932 440043.